Wednesday 18 September 2013

Trimming the conifer hedge

The conifer hedge in the back garden is still looking at me. Half trimmed before it claimed its victim in the shape of me falling off the ladder.  It needs doing.

Discussions have been had between me and the wife and a plan has been formulated. I shall trim the sides as I was doing, but the height, of which there is approximately 12 feet of it, needs to be tackled.  For this, we are going to invest in the one off use of a 'tree surgeon'.

Currently the hedge is approximately 20 foot long, 10 foot high and 4-5 foot wide, with an archway cut in the middle.


We are going to get a couple of feet cut off the top, probably to bring it to the level of the top of the current arch.  We will then possible train it for a new arch afterwards.

Trimming it to this sort of height, will mean in the future I will be able to manage it much easier, as currently, I don't have ladders tall enough and only have a basic hedge trimmer.  It will also let a bit more light over into the vegetable patch and garden, without losing the wind break it gives us.

So, at some point in the next few days, I need to think about trimming the sides and getting a quote for a price for taking the top off.  It'll will ultimately depend on the quote, as we are not in the position of being able to pay too much.  It maybe, if not, that the top is left to grow a little longer.

Lets see what happens.




No comments:

Post a Comment