Wednesday 11 September 2013

Harvest 2013

Well its Wednesday night and I've just sat down to see whats on television.  BBC2 8pm...Harvest 2013. 

I didn't know anything about this programme, I've just stumbled across it, but I thought I'd take a look.  Tonight's episode, one of three, is 'Vegetables: The Goodness of the Earth'.

The title has got me interested straight away.  Its following different farms growing and harvesting veg on a huge scale.  How they do it, how they time growing and keep veg for the year.

But even for farmers, this can be a problem.  If the weather isn't right planting can go wrong.  The broccoli crop at the moment is an example.  All the plants had to go in at the same time, due to weather, and some ended up being wasted as they were all ready at the same time.  Another farmer, grew carrots in the summer, then covered them over with black plastic and straw to keep them ready to be harvested whenever they were needed.  This is something we can do in our gardens and allotments, on smaller basis, but using natures larder...the earth.  Although, of course, this won't work with all crops.

At the moment on the programme, there is basically a massive warehouse come green house growing tomatoes in the middle of winter.  It looks amazing, tomato plants as far as the eye can see.  One day hopefully I might be able to do a similar thing, growing summer veg and salads in winter, when I have my own heated greenhouse.  Thats a dream, at the moment though I make do with my small plastic ones.  Glass greenhouses are expensive and probably not a great idea with kids kicking footballs.

Watching a programme like this throws up so many thoughts, ideas and insights.  For example, one farm had to spray the entire potato crop as they were suffering from blight.  We at home may have the same thing to do, but on a much smaller scale.  But, will they be using an organic spray?  Probably not, which does make me proud of the vegetables I grow in my garden.  Admittedly, the veg and fruit grown by these farmers may look good and taste good, but can you beat the taste and feeling of eating food you have spent time rearing yourself, knowing exactly how it was grown.

Following the tomato greenhouse, there is what could be almost called a boutique farm.  Down scaling a large farm to concentrate on the quality of veg, most of which is sold to Michelin class restaurants.  In this section, one tip picked up was that for example, the turnips grown are sown much closer together so it restricts the growth size, meaning you can grow more crops and harvest much sooner.  For me in my garden, that might be an idea.  Balancing the need for plenty of food, but also tasty food.
    They are also doing a scientific test on whether coloured light makes a different of growth.  Seemingly it looks possible that some coloured light sources may give more root growth while other give more foliage growth.  Things like this are ideas to consider. 

I have to say one of the most important things to me when it comes to growing vegetables, is to grow organically.  No chemicals, just all natural ways.

I will be watching the next programme in this series.  Whether its how I grow or not, its still interesting.  No doubt, there are some tips I can pick up and change to work in my veggie plot.  Anything I can use to expand my knowledge and experience is always welcome.

Right, I think its time for me to say goodnight :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment