Sunday 15 September 2013

Miserable Sunday Weather

The weather outside is looking very autumnal.  Its grey, its cold, its rainy and its miserable.

I'm still getting over last weeks accident and so have not done a great deal in the past week.  The stitches are out tomorrow and I think I will be off work a couple more days until its at a more manageable stage, though I am feeling a lot better than earlier in the week.

Due to these circumstances and a family bereavement, progress in the garden has almost come to a standstill.  This week, the usual daily routine with the chickens has continued and a couple of vegetable plants have been put in to fill a few gaps, but even after that easy work, I have needed a rest.

In the garden we now have lots of potato plants at various stages of growth, carrots coming through nicely, broccoli and cauliflower plants starting to establish, beetroot plants looking very healthy and sprouts still struggling on.

The sweet potatoes have been dug up, as they haven't really done anything this year.  More reading up on their care is needed for next year, before I try again.  The fennel took a beating with a particularly heavy downpour a few days ago.  Whether they will recover on not, I don't know yet, I do know they can be very temperamental though.  The courgettes seem to be slowing down in they final few weeks, although we have still got a few this week.

The tomatoes in the greenhouse are slowly turning red and what we thought was the final cucumber, is ready for picking, although I did spot yesterday a very small one poking out.  We shall see.
The peppers are still looking good and shouldn't be too much longer.

As outside has been mostly off limits to me, I have been doing some reading up on what I have grown, for tips on why they may not have performed, or if I could increase the crop next year.  Notes have been made and I will refer to these next year.

Sadly, its getting to that time of the year when these sort of miserable days will become the norm.  There are however still things that can be done.

I do also still have a cold frame to build, which looks like it will soon be need for strawberries and fuchsias to live in over winter.

In the garden, time still moves on...

No comments:

Post a Comment