Monday 9 September 2013

Composting

Well with yesterdays events putting me out of action, i have time on my hands, so time for another post.

Running with the theme of what we have done in the garden, and catching up with the last 9 months, the next project I did in the garden was to build some compost bins.

With our garden, I try to be a bit of a thrifty gardener not wanting to spend too much money if I can find a way of reusing things. 

The compost bins were always going to be one of the first jobs as I want to be as self sufficient as possible.  I also want our garden to be organic and as friendly to wildlife and nature as possible.

So, with that in mind, I managed to get my hands on some pallets that were basically going in skips before I got my hands on them.  So already I'm helping the environment.  Saving these pallets from pointless disposal and managing the find a use for them.


To start with I made one compost bin by fitting three pallets together by screwing the corners to each other.  I then fitted a small pallet to the front to stop contents spilling out. Since that first one, I managed to get hold of some more pallets and have managed to make three compost bins and a space for turf that has been taken up around the garden.

A couple more pallets are needed to finish them off, but we started composting as soon as the first was made.

Now to the composting.

General thought is that more compost bins that you have the better so you can turn and store, but obviously for a lot of gardens, space affects what you can do.  We are lucky with our space.  I really wanted three bins so that one is working, the second can be turned into and the third is ready to be used.

At the moment we have one bin nicely composting and is already to be used as a mulch, but a bit longer and we will have a good compost.  My plan for this is to spread it around different parts of the garden and especially in the veggie plot as a mulch for some plants and to add some goodness.  It will be put down when the frosts start coming so it will help protect the roots of more tender plants and shrubs.

We have a second bin that we are now filling and the third is empty but will be used when the second bin wants turning.


Turning is very important as it aerates the composts and moves it around and can kick start the composting process.  I tend to find that my compost heats up well, but when it cools down, I turn it and the process starts again.

The other thing I mentioned is about turf.  I don't like to waste anything.  When turf comes up I tend to relay some of it in paths in the veggie plot.  The rest goes into an area I made, where the turf is stacked on top of each other as tight as possible, grass down.  This will make a nice loam which can be used around the garden or added to compost to be used.  This process does take a very long time. I think around 18 months, but nothing needs to be done to it, just leave it piled up up out of the way.



Composting is a lot of trial and error and also a learning curve.  When I first started, I tended to just throw things in, whereas now i try to layer.  I found that before, I used to get ants nests in the compost, whereas now with it being layered, turned and heating up well, not too many ants turn up.

I would really urge people to compost.  It helps your garden, the environment and is a good way of disposing of a lot of your waste.

There are many books on this topic so I won't tell you how to do it, I just record my experiences.  I hope I can inspire other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment